At the Age of the Roman Empire [Duration: 2 hours]
One of the biggest seaports of Eastern Europe is ODESSA SEA PORT (46.490724, 30.746063) which is the main landmark of the city. Completely renovated in 1968. Before the building of the marine station is E. Neizvestnogo’s sculpture “the Golden child”, on the pier is a monument to sailor’s wife. Near Odessa Sea Port is the MUSEUM OF ANCHORS under the open sky (46.490249, 30.744919). Here are exhibited curiosities of the anchors, raised at different times from the bottom of the Black sea. The main sight of the city is the front staircase is POTEMKIN STAIRS (46.488749, 30.742014) which rise in the centre as it was conceived by the Governor-General, Prince Mikhail Vorontsov. Construction was completed in 1841 . Its length is 142 meters, often it is called “a ladder in the sky”. MONUMENT TO DUKE DE RISHELIEU (46.488119,30.741186) was erected in 1827. The monument was cast in bronze in St. Petersburg and put up in 1827. The sculptor was I. Martos, the architects were A. Melnikov and F. Boffo. The Odessites call the monument just “Duke”. One of the famous sights of Odessa is HOUSE WITH ONE WALL (46.488913, 30.739079) was built in 1889 by architect D. Klimov and belonged to Rafalovich. The building close to Vorontsov’s Palace is famous for its shape. If you walk from the palace and stop at the edge of the building it seems that there is only a facade, and no side wall. The building looks flat. VORONTSOV PALACE (46.490149, 30.738827) is Winter residence of earl Vorontsov, 1827, projected by Boffo and COLONNADE (46.490895, 30.738424). TESCHIN BRIDGE (46.490724, 30.737354) refers to the old Odessa, and located between Primorsky Boulevard and the Boulevard Zhvanetskogo. The bridge was built of reinforced concrete and flexibly stretched between two slopes of the beam Military, if you stand on the bridge any time, it is possible to feel as it slightly vibrates and springs. The bridge was built in 1968—1969. SHAH’S PALACE (46.490797, 30.735111) erected in the middle of XIX c. in English Gothic style. Build for Polish noble Z. Brozozowski, rented by deposed Shah of Persia. HOUSE WITH ATLANTES (46.489673, 30.735827)was erected in the English Gothic style by architect F. Gonsiorovskiy in 1852 for Polish noble Z. Brzozowski. TOLSTOY’S PALACE (Scientists Society) –(46.488344,30.736106) was built in 1832 in the classical style by architect F. Boffo. In 1867 it was bought by Count Tolstoy. In 1898 a baroque mansion was added for a picture gallery. The architect of the gallery was G.-K. Scheurembrandt. The mansion became a museum in 1920. Since 1934 it has been the Scientists Society. ODESSA SECONDARY SPECIAL MUSICAL BOARDING-SCHOOL STOLYARSKY (46.488281, 30.738538) was built in 1933. It was the first in the USSR, a boarding school for gifted children. Odessa music school served as a model for similar schools that are open later in Leningrad, Moscow and Sverdlovsk. From the walls of the Stolyarsky school left a lot of famous and talented musicians. It finished David Oistrakh, Nathan Milstein, Elizaveta Gilels, Boris Goldstein. The square is one of the most prominent sights in the city. It is called CATHERINE SQUARE (Monument to the Founders of Odessa) (46.487292,30.739131) as there was St. Catherine’s Church here initially. However, the church was never finished and removed in 1821.The small PRIMORSKIY BOULEVARD (46.487090, 30.742081) is one of the most beautiful streets of Odessa. Each building is a masterpiece of architecture. It is the seafront of the city, a pedestrian area. During repaving in 2008 archeologists found the remains of an ancient Greek settlement dating back to the 6th century BC. There was a house foundation, pit with sacrificed animals. The excavation site was covered with a glass roof and everybody can view it. ODESSA CITY COUNCIL (46.485601, 30.744076)was started either in 1828 and finished either in 1834. The architect was F.Boffo. Initially it was meant for the first Odessa stock exchange. The main façade had two rows of columns and a patio behind them. In 1899 the stock exchange moved to a new building, and the Town Hall moved in (later the City Council).
THE ODESSA ARCHAEOLOGICAL MUSEUM (46.485234, 30.743944) is situated in the historic heart of the city. In front of it is a marble replica of the famous Roman sculpture “Laocoon and his sons”, donated to the city around 1890 by its art-loving Mayor Grigory Marazli. Roman heritage in the museum is presented in the halls of “Ancient Rome” and the basement “Gold Room”. Here we can see the weapons, statues, sculpted portraits, coins, pottery, amulets, toys and tools uncovered during excavations at Tyra, Orlovka, Nikoniy and Zmeiny Island. The main attraction of Odessa is OPERA HOUSE (46.484961,30.741081) was built in 1887 by architects Felner and Helmer in eclectic style, barocco dominates. MONUMENT TO LEONID UTESOV (46.484722, 30.734379) was popular singer and actor from Odessa. He sang many song about Odessa. The monument to L. Utesov was formally opened on the 2nd of September (Odessa’s birthday). The sculptor was A. Tokarev, the architect was V.Glazyrin. MONUMENT TO ILF AND PETROV (Monument to the 12th Chair) (46.484716, 30.733881) was established to novel “The Twelve Chairs”. The monument was formally opened on the 1st of April 1999 – the day of the joke carnival in Odessa. The architect was M.Reva. It is located on the smallest square in the world named after the main character, Ostap Bender. CITY GARDEN (46.484981, 30.734558) or Gorodskoy Sad, is the most famous of Odessa’s garden. Laid out in 1803 by Felix De Ribas. Bronze figures of lions decorate the garden along Deribasovskaya Street. They were brought from France in the middle of the 19th century.