Kherson is an important port on the Black Sea and Dnieper River, and the home of a major ship-building industry. Kherson port is a major transport hub, which is the interaction of fluvial, marine, rail and road transports. In 1779, began the construction of the new port. The first merchant ships with cargo came to Kherson within two years after construction began. In 1803 Kherson received the status of provincial center, first his arms and began to develop as a commercial port. In 1831, a merchant shipyard became a unified state yard, where the period between 1833 and 1843 was built 187 ships. The port had a large sail and steam Navy.
Currently the Kherson sea commercial port is a modern enterprise, which is part of the unified transport complex of Ukraine. The port is located on the right Bank of the Dnieper river, 15 kilometers off the estuary. The approach to it is performed via fairway which runs along the rvach river, the Alder sleeve of the Dnieper river and the Dnieper.
The external relations of the port was hampered by the lack of depth of the Dnieper, but after deepening of the fairway (at the end of XIXc.) turned into a major port for the export of grain. A modern port has 8 berths and handles vessels with export-import cargoes (cement, metal, bauxite, sulfate, grain, etc.). In the winter, when the Dnieper freezes over, vessels are led into port by icebreakers.