Museums and Galleries
- Historical & Literary Archive of Kavala
- Maritime Museum of Kavala
- Historical and Ethnological Museum of the Greeks of Cappadocia
- Archaeological Museum of Philippi
- Tobacco Museum of Kavala
- Archaeological Museum of Kavala
Religion and Heritage
- Wix mansion
- Town Hall
- Municipal Conservatory of Kavala
- Tokou Mansion
- The Great Clubhouse
- Girls' School
- Municipal Tobacco Warehouse
The port of Kavala (40.932529, 24.412201) lies at the southern shore of the city, aside the peninsula of Panaghia, where the old city was built.
The port was built at the 7th c. B.C. from the Thasian colonists that founded the city at that period, using the natural form of the gulf, next to the ancient city that was named Neapolis. The city was played an important role as a naval base during the Pelopponesian War between Athenians and Spartans at the last quarter of the
At 49/50 A.D., Saint Paul came here from Troas and moves to the city of Philippi, where he was arrested and founded the first Christian church in Europe.
During the Roman and Byzantine period, the port was used as a small naval base, that guarded the area, with the ground forces that stayed in the acropolis, at the top of the Panaghia peninsula, where the city was positioned.
The importance of the port increases after 1840, due to the tobacco trade, as it was one of the main exporting ports of Macedonia. Many merchants from Greece, Austria, Hungary, France, Germany etc. constructed huge tobacco wearhouses to serve their needs and the port is full from ships that export the tobacco to central Europe. Some of these buildings stand till today, as a proof of that period of wealth and prosper of the city.
The port expands at the 1920’s with the construction of the jetty and several additions to the coastal area, in order to optimize the facilities. After 1945, the port expands to the west, creating the form that keeps till today.
The visitor can reach the city following the Egnatia Odos E90, from the Agios Syllas junction to the west (40.940932, 24.375276) or the Aspra Chomata Junction to the east (40.955373, 24.463928). Both entrances lead directly to the port, which is easily accessible and has a parking area, right below the medieval sea walls of the castle.
The exact chronology of the foundation of the city is unknown. But the oldest residential remnants date back to the third quarter of the 7th century BC.
Kavala is the third largest city of Macedonia, built at the foot of Mount Symvolon.
The distance from Thessaloniki is 165km and from Athens 680km.
In the urban web there are 4 organized beaches that are easily accessible, sports areas and 3 small forest areas.
The city is well known as the only oil drilling center in Greece and has numerous industries that support the local economy. Numerous hotels can serve the needs of the visitors. The regular bus communication connects the city with the neighboring cities of Xanthi, Drama and Thessaloniki. The airport of Chryssoupolis (30km) serves with direct flights to Athens and charter flights from many other countries.
The port connects the city with Thassos island and the islands of Northern Aegean.
Useful phones, websites and Social Media
-Fire Services: 199
-First Aid Services: 166
-Chryssoupolis Airport: 2591053400
-Municipality of Kavala: 2513500160
-Municipal Police: 2513500220
-Port Authority: 2513505430