Tel.: +30 2510 516251
The most important archaeological site of eastern Macedonia, with characteristic monuments from the Hellenistic, Roman and Early Christian periods.
The excavations on the site of Philippi began in 1914 by the French School of Archaeology in Athens. Nowadays, the archaeological exploitation of the site is carried out by the Archaeological Service, the Aristoteleian University of Thessaloniki and the French School of Archaeology at Athens. The finds from the excavations are housed in the Museum of Philippi. The most important monuments of the site are:
The walls and the acropolis, the theatre which was probably built by king Philip II around the middle of the 4th century B.C., the Agora (Forum) which was the adminstrative centre of Philippi in the Roman period, with most imposing buildings the North-East temple and the North-West temple. Also, the Palaestra which is comprised a peristyle central court, rooms and a small amphitheatron. The best preserved part of the whole complex is the vespasianae on the SE corner of the building. There are also, the prison of Apostole Paul and Basilica A: Dated to the end of the 5th century A.D., Basilica B: Three-aisled basilica dated to ca. 550 A.D and Basilica C: Octagonal church which was built in ca. 400 A.D.