Built during 1898-1902 with a donation from the well-known Georgian oil industrialist and philanthropist Stephane Zubalashvili, Batumi Cathedral was originally designed for the local catholic community.
Designed in pseudo-Gothic style, the three-nave basilica shows an affinity with medieval European churches. The interior is decorated with wall paintings featuring Biblical themes. The exterior is decorated with stained glass, artistic elements of different styles and bronze statues of Georgian enlighteners, St Andrew the Apostle and St Nino.
This solemn building of elevated forms and rigid proportions is one of the most remarkable buildings in the city.
From 1989 the church belongs to the Georgian Orthodox Church. Nowadays it is the main cathedral of Batumi and Lazeti eparchies.