Tel.: +995 422 27 49 12
Batumi port is situated on the south-east coast of the Black Sea, in the bay safe from streams and wind. An ancient Greek name of the place, Bathys Limen and its Latin equivalent – Portus Altus, meaning deep harbor, indicate the existence of the harbor as early as the fourth century BC.
Medieval Georgian, Byzantine and European sources, including cartographic signs marked on European sea and trade maps prove the importance of Batumi trade port. From the 1850s, along with growing interest of European countries in the Black Sea coast, commercial significance of Ottoman harbor Batumi grew and soon it became a central transit point on the Black Sea coast, joining western countries with the Caucasus and Eastern regions. In 1878, after the Russian-Ottoman war, Batumi was passed to Russia and under the treaty it was declared Porto Franco (existed till 1886). The rapid development of the port in the end of the 19th and the beginning of the 20th century is related to the transportation of Baku oil from Batumi to the world markets. Nowadays Batumi port is part of TRACECA, an Asia-Caucasia-Europe transport corridor.
Of the old buildings of the port only a lighthouse has survived. Built in 1882 it stands at the edge of the cape, the latitude 410 40 and the longitude 410 36. The lighthouse is a 21, 2m high octagonal tower-type building, the top of which is equipped with an optical device having 14 mile area visibility.
Constructed in 1962, the port building with lighthouse capstan is an example of the Soviet architecture.