It was founded in 1969 as a first category institution of national interest, the only one in the country. It is situated in the siege of the former Navy High school, dating back to 1908. The building is a historical monument. The museum is organized on thematic-chronological criteria and has several departments, shown in 30 halls. The institution owns 37,800 pieces, grouped in 33 collections and presents the history of the Romanian navy. The Romanian Navy Museum was again confirmed as a museum of national importance, the second in the National Defense Ministry and the only one in Dobruja.